Boo and the Goose

My photo
We are two college students trying to grow up gracefully.

Thursday 30 June 2011

Pre-Order Paradise

Last week, a few days before it’s official release, my pre-ordered copy of Bon Iver’s self-titled album arrived. As you might have guessed, I am a massive fan of the guy/group/project (never quite sure which!) and the new album did not disappoint.

Bon Iver’s second album is 40 minutes of pure, unadulterated bliss. I think so anyway. Admittedly, the album is quite repetitive but, to be honest, I wouldn’t want anything different so I’m not going to complain!

One thing that sets it apart from For Emma Forever Ago is that we get to hear Justin’s bass tones in both Minnesota, WI and Hinnom, TX. Luckily, the man’s lower register rings just as sweetly as the higher notes we know and love.

Another interesting change comes in the form of the final track, Beth/Rest. The way this track starts sounds like Phil Collins is writing another Disney soundtrack, but stick with it and you might start to enjoy the inherent eighties feel despite its somewhat odd placing in the album.

The same amount of emotion has been poured into the sound of this album as For Emma… although the lyrics are a bit more ambiguous. And if all that isn’t swaying you, check out the beautiful artwork by Gregory Euclide.
               
I am going to shut up now because I can’t think of anymore ways to say ‘this album is fantastic and you should buy it’.

Best track: Hinnom, TX
Worst track:  I’m sorry, I just can’t pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment